Monday, September 12, 2011

I'm Not too Short.

This is probably the most encouraging thing I have seen in a long time. I absolutely love the game of basketball. I may not be great at it, but I believe I can hold up my own most times. Unfortunately, poor coaches, and knee injuries have stunned my development of basketball skills. I wanted to be good and do something great in the game, but I did not have coaches that took there time to teach their players, and two large knee injuries have kept me on the bench for many games. These days, I don't play much basketball. I wish I did. It is very peaceful to me, and there are few things that I enjoy more than playing this game. But because of my height, I feel as if I never really gave myself a chance. I'm all of 5'8'' and my point guard skills are not as great as others. I learned how to play as a wing player, and never cultivated my ball handling skills. Thus when I came to a point where I stopped growing, I wasn't as valuable because I was too short. When I was young I dream of playing in the Olympics, for the USA Basketball team. That dream was crushed by the reality of my height. I stopped trying because I thought it was vanity to do such.
Just the other day, I saw this video about a 5'4'' college kid, who tried out for his college team in his Junior year. What amazed me is that he made the team, whats even greater, is that he made an impact! In the video link below, it tells you what was done for him his senior year.
Five-foot-4 walk-on’s perseverence pays off with scholarship - The Dagger - NCAAB Blog - Yahoo! Sports:

For those of you who are having issues watching the video, this is what happened. Because of his persistence and hard work, more than skills at the game, he was given a full scholarship to pay off college while he played. Fantastic right? The scene goes to a point where it looks like the couch is going to bang on him for not being in shape, but quickly the conversation turns into praise for the player. And in the end, the coach does what he says was the 'most rewarding thing I've done,' and hands him the full scholarship.
Sometimes I think that maybe if I start trying again, things could work out for me in the same way. Maybe I'm not too short.
'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment