Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Am I Good?

Someone recently pointed out to me that they thought themselves to be 98% good. I found that very surprising. I thought three things initially about this person telling me this. First, I thought that they were saying that they were 2% away from being perfect which I would definitely disagree with. Second, I did not know why they had related good to a percentage, as if there is a certain percentage that is acceptable or preferable to have, and they have that percentage. Lastly, I wondered if the person ever met themselves because after knowing this person for quite some time now, I was in awe at how high they rated themselves. Not to be rude, but to honest; 98% is high for them, for anyone actually, even myself.
I continued to contemplate about this person's confession and had to think more about what I thought about being "good" was, According to Jesus, there is only one who is good. The story starts with someone refering to Jesus as Good Teacher but Jesus dismisses their question to ask them why they called him good, saying only the father is good. Interesting, very interesting. Only God is good? That is a very high standard to live up to. Based on that alone, I don't know how anyone can consider themselves good. But I would say that good is too small of a word for God, that it was meant for us feeble humans. Perhaps the word good was mistranslated as often happens with our difficult English. Another verse came to mind when I thought about being good. Paraphrasing, its says a man may think his way is right [good], but his path leads to death. Is this person thinking that they are good on the path to death? The word death makes this seem so dramatic, and also (again) interesting. I wonder if I think that I'm doing good, but really am lost.
I would usually describe myself as a decently good person, but probably not simply, good. Though I would say that I make mostly good choices in my life, but I don't think that I am good. Maybe mostly good. But I think that there is a different issue that is almost opposite of those who think they are "good," that I sometimes may fall under. Its the issue that people think, "I know I'm not good, and never can be fully such, and since there is nothing I can do to be good, why try?" And those people may go along simply doing what ever pleases them (whether that is "good" or "bad" actions) and not strive for something. Is that just as bad as those who think they are good? Maybe. Is there a difference between good people and being good? I'm beginning to think I am over analyzing the idea of being good. But maybe my point is to show that there is a fine line between saying that we are good, and being conceited while walking down the wrong path. This make me think I need to reevaluate myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment