Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years

I've celebrated the coming of the New Year in different ways. When I was young I could be found spending time with family, as I got a bit older I would join my parents in going to church, after that I went to New Year's Parties with friends, I even spent one New Year's Eve alone in bed because I was ill. All had their different type of fun that I enjoyed. But I believe the one celebration that I hold dear to my heart was a simple one I had with my older brother during a noisy church service.
The speaker of the night was giving the word to welcome in the new year. The church was rejoicing, jubilant in every way. Shouting and singing, praising God while dancing, it was hot in the building. But the comical part of this celebration was that it was early, too early. The speaker did his countdown of 10 to 1 in seconds, but in between each number he would tell a story of speak more about the New Year blessings. So his countdown of 10 seconds took more like 30 minutes. But even though that took longer to announce, he was still off on his timing. About 15 minutes. Thats not to bad, just funny, there was no clock in the church sanctuary so no one would really know the truth, unless they would look at their watches.
That is exactly what my brother did. He looked at his watch, which happened to have the exact time on it. (He liked to be precise with his timing) my brother grabbed me and took me to the back of the sanctuary, and showed me the time. He told me that the pastor was off but when the clock turns to midnight we can have our own celebration! I was excited. I loved my brother. We waited patiently for the clock to turn. Finally it came and we cheered and hugged each other. He picked me up, twirling me around as we said Happy New Year to each other. It was a joyous time we were having. My favorite New Year's celebration

No comments:

Post a Comment