Monday, January 28, 2013

A Scary Moment

I have been training for a marathon since this past summer. I've had the ambition, but not the proper training like I desired due to injuries and illness which slowed me. So far nothing I have encountered has made me think I will not be able to run the race.

Some people have told me I should flat out quit, because of an ailing ankle injury. Others believe my lack of intense training will be my downfall and thus I should not run it. I believe none of it. I will run and finish. Today was the first day I thought I would not finish.

While playing the sport I love above all others, basketball, I was introduced to the ground with unfortunate results. While handling the ball and driving towards the basket, I attempted a shot. I jumped in the air and quickly realized I would not make the basket and turned my shot into a pass. On my way down from the pass, my left foot, which has been held together by an ankle brace for the past few weeks, was stomped on by the defender guarding me. Like a boat anchored down, I could go no where; without choice, I went straight to the floor breaking my fall with my forearms.

In the moment, I was in a state of shock. My ankle was already in a place where it needed more care than usual, but now this was something else. My mind flashed to a moment where I was in high school where I was in a similar instance and the ankle pain was great and kept me out of other games. In this case, I went down and stayed down feeling pain. I admit fully I was scared. With the marathon I am running in less than seven days, I prayed I could be able to walk to the bench where there were chairs waiting for me.

I was able to finally get up, with the aid of the man who knocked me down, and hobble over to the sideline. Confidence built inside me for with every step, I could feel only minimal pain. There was soreness all over, but I could tell nothing serious. My heart was beating slower than before as I sat the remaining minutes of the game. Peace surrounded me, as I regained my confidence knowing I will run and finish the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment