Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Living Learning Community

For almost two weeks now, I've been living in a double wide with what started out with 3 other people. Now things have changed to make me one of six that live in here. With another arriving today and one more who is always in our house, it seems that the eight of us are going to be getting to know each other really well. Now that I think about it, there is even a 9th person coming in after that some time later this month. 9 people, one roof, lots of fun, lots of learning.
Since I've been at this place before some of the others, it is interesting to see how the dynamics have changed with each person added. First there was comfort in having only 4 people living together. It was easy to get up and travel together, or plan where we want to go because there is only 4 people to please. Next we added two and the dynamics changed. I have to admit that I was comfortable in the situation with four people, but with six it gets a little complicated. Only a certain car can be driven, with only one driver, going out to eat gets a little stressing with certain eating habits of the new comers and trying to please everyone. Then there is always the chance of one person being favored in the group a others slightly being pushed out. When there is a small group, no one should be out of the group. With the addition of another today, things will change and new dynamic will enter our house. But I think thats where the learning is.
When there are more people in an area, there are more desires, more issues to deal with, more characters in a group. Its not a bad thing, its a great thing because everyone is so amazingly different. I wont always have the chance to live with people that may or may not think, believe, act, talk or work like me. In the not too distant, but distant enough, future I'll have a place of my own and then after that I'll be living with the love of my life. But right now is the time where I can soak up information from other people and see which way of life works for them as I find out what works for me. I think living with different people is a great way to experience people that God made. Its like looking at a different aspect of God. Each person He created has a different reflection of Him, and living with multiple people allows me to see Him in many new ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment