Thursday, May 26, 2011

Home is Where the Heart Is

Currently, I'm sitting on the couch of my new summer home in Watsonville, Ca listening to the sounds of the house as it creaks in various places. After a wonderful dinner with good company at Santa Cruz Diner sharing countless laughs with those that I'll be spending my summer with, I returned to my living quarters and began to sit and imagine what this summer is going to be. I left home yesterday to a job that has potential to be stressful with so much needing to be done constantly, to friends new and old to create bonds and live life with, and to an opportunity to minister to others who are in need of ministry. I left home yesterday strangely craving to spend more time among my family despite there being turmoil at hand and uneasiness in the air. When I left home yesterday, to me it seemed like I left in an odd time because I oddly felt that my time there was not sufficient, that I did not spend enough time there and that I am missing out on not being there. For a person that no longer spends much time at my parents place, visiting about 3 times a year: for Christmas/New Years time, Mother's day and my mothers birthday, (I wouldn't dare miss those last two dates, unknown dangers would definitely occur!) being away from home has become, in many ways, home. So this peculiar desire to be home, seems unnatural and out of place for me. But perhaps this is me learning what being homesick really is. Maybe I'm learning where my heart actually is, and since my mind is already there, my body is wanting to be there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment