Saturday, March 10, 2012

Failure

Some people do not fair well with failure. They do everything they can to stay away from it as if it is the flue that they can easily catch. Others find failure to be the bottom to the barrel, and that there is nothing worse that can happen after failure.
Then some people see failure as an opportunity, a time where they can learn from whatever mistake they made that led them there. They see failure as the necessary step that brings them closer to their goal. Others see failure as the turning point, the 211th degree that like water needs to be reached in order to start boiling at 212 degrees.
One failure that I keep in mind is not a failure of my own, but the failure of another. He was my leader, but unfortunately his goal to bring a group of guys together didn't work out the way he wanted it to. I was one of the guys he tried unifying. I will say that he had a difficult task in his hands, and it was not the commitment of his that led to his defeat, but the lack of commitment in we young, immature boys that allowed it to slip through our hands. I keep this in mind because I admire my friend's failure. I aspire to be him, truly! Not to fail like him, but to be like him. Even in failure, he never gave up; he continued toward his goal even when it was clear that everything was galling apart. He was consistent, persistent, and never gave up. He was at a level of devotion that is rarely seen in people. That kind of devotion is what I want, desire for my personal commitments. And even though he failed, and no longer leads us, he stayed true till the end, as a captain of a ship till the boat sank, but without the stupidity.
Failure is not always bad, but can be useful and in some ways inspiring. Perhaps its not the act of failure that can break a person, but the way it happens that can create something good or something less fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment