Monday, February 27, 2012

My Fortune Cookie

Three months ago, I ate at a Chinese restaurant. It wasn't just any Chinese place, it was a wonderful Chinese place. The name of the place was called, Wonderful Chinese Food. As much as I despise places that seem to name themselves with egocentric titles, these cooks made me a believer. But as almost everyone knows, the meal you eat at any Chinese place, is not the part you'll remember. The most memorable part and the absolute best moment of the meal is the opening of the fortune cookie.
You never know what it is going to say about you're future. There are times when it gives you something to look forward too, like the words "Good fortune is right around the corner for you!" Or times when it gives eerie warnings such as, "Be careful with any near ventures, danger may await." Sometimes the words on the familiar white slip of paper, can be pretty or sweet and instead of predicting the future, it will make a statement like, "A good friend is like a flower is full blossom." Not as exciting, but sometimes it helps you too remember not to take the small things, like friendship, for granted. No matter what is written on fortune or if it has a chance of becoming a reality, the fortune cookie always brings a smile to people's faces.
Recently, actually three months to the date, I opened a fortune cookie. I opened it up and I was struck with excitement. I cracked the yellow cookie, placing half of it on my plate eagerly grabbing the small piece of paper between my fingers. I read the following words, "Remember three months from this date. Good things are in store for you." I was in a moment of my life where I wasn't really too excited about all that was around me, but these two sentences made me think about the future, what would happen in three months? Does this mean that nothing good will happen for another three months? How can I wait this long? In my short excitement I remembered that I was just reading a piece of paper, and I quietly placed in my wallet as a keepsake. I knew that there was no real meaning to the paper but I wanted there to be significance. Since then, many of the good things that have happened to me or around me I have often thought back to that Sunday brunch with my family when I first saw my fortune.
Three months later bring us to today. I think about the fortune, and though I do not give all the credit to that paper for the good that has happened to me, I use it to think about how far I've come in the past three months. I feel as though I have been blessed so much I could list it but it would end up taking up all the space on my website! But honestly, much has happened in this length of time and it makes me reflect on all that can change in such a small amount of time.
Things were not going all too great from me, there weren't a whole bunch of positives and I seemed to be sinking into a bottomless pool. But it changed, or I thought it changed. Truly, I changed. I realized that with my little fortune cookie, I was expecting good things to happen, I was no longer being weary of the next negative waiting for me around life's corner, I was now looking for the good. I had a new perspective and though my struggles still continued because I knew that with every dip, there was a rise and I would come to the top again.
Its the little things in life that make us smile. Sometimes those little things make a huge difference and help people like me remember that there is always good happening around us, we just have to remember to look.

1 comment: