Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pain from Lack of Communication

I currently have a cut that about 2 inches in length near my elbow. It is not a bad abrasion at all really, it bled much more than it should have. As I start to run in my mind how I received the cut, I begin to think about how I could have avoided it. The only reason I got the cut is because of a lack of communication between my dad and I when we were moving my couch from his living room to his truck. It was a hot day, the wind blowing around us did not help but only made the heat sting a bit more and we were tired from the work of the day before. Our voices were strained from our tiredness and could hardly be heard above the cars driving by on the street. I walked backwards, leading as he pushed forward following where I went. But when he began to rush forward, and I told him to slow down, that is when the pain struck. My left arm struck the boat parked in our driveway. It hurt, not badly, but enough to know that it was there and that it was bleeding. I continued on towards my father's truck and was able to rest the couch down before any other accidents happened. I realized what happened was a result from neither us speaking loud enough for the other to her. It was stubbornness, tiredness, and slight frustration that all combined together that caused us to not be mindful of the other and just push through hoping to avoid casualties. I think that sometimes I let my frustrations, stubbornness, and tiredness to stop myself from properly communicating what I think, see, feel and it eventually leads to pain. The pain can be different in each situation, small or great, physical or mental but in the end, its still hurts. Coming from a person who doesn't like pain, if I can avoid it, I would definitely do what I can to cause my body less harm. And to accomplish my self preservation with something so minute like communicating properly, it would be foolish of me to not try. Its good communication that avoids pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment