Monday, August 15, 2011

Help Is On The Way!

On my way from the airport today I ran out of gas in the vehicle I was driving. It was a adventure that I will not easily forget. It was the first time that I was driving a vehicle that was so low on gas. I turned off so many exits looking for a gas station, but as is true with all of life, when you need something the most and you are looking for it, it is never around. As I kept returning to the freeway to find my redemption in a gas station, I noticed the gas level going down far below the "E" symbol. Then it happened. I was driving and came to a point to where I was pushing the gas pedal but I was not going anymore forward. All I had left pushing me was the momentum from the speed I was at. I turned off at the next exit and hardly had enough to reach the light that was at the end of the turn off. I had my friend in the passenger seat next to me jump into the driver seat as I immediately went out of the car to start pushing it so we could make it to the stop light.
At that point, out of no where, a line of cars began to line up and honk loudly to protest their lack of movement from going forward. I apologized to the man that was directly behind me because he had his window down. He said it was fine, then put he emergency flashers on, but what he did next surprised me. He unbuckled his seat belt, open the door to his black Pontiac convertible and proceeded to step out. To my amazement, he stepped right to the side of me and helped me push the car forward. Together we pushed the car one block to the Shell gas station at the end of the block. We needed an extra push to get it into the gas station and another man came to help us. I was truly grateful for what both men did, because, despite my strength, I do not believe I would have been able to do it without them.
Some days, I feel like the world is no longer the decent place that it once was. But today I felt like there was more decency that many people give credit. If we wait just a little bit, help is on the way and sometimes it comes from places we may not expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment