Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Ring on My Hand

I have a ring on my right ring finger. Its simple, being completely black but has the word "Mercy" on it in a Romanesque font and gold coloring. I wear it because it has meaning to me. I believe that there are two things that we need in everyday life that we don't get very often: Goodness and Mercy. Thankfully, in Psalm 23:6 it says, "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life..." But even though its in the Bible, its hard to remember on some days that this verse remains true even though life shows you otherwise. There are days when so many things go wrong, that its hard to believe that there is good in the world. Then there are days when we screw up, and we are given a full penalty for our mistakes. Its on those days that I need this assurance the most, that despite what is going on in front of me, that somewhere in my situation is goodness. When I am receiving penalties for my actions, in the midst of it all there is mercy. Everyday, no matter if I feel it or not, its there. This ring on my finger, reminds me this. One day, I hope to make this reminder permanent, so I will never forget that goodness and mercy is following me.

1 comment:

  1. Permanent? A tattoo?
    Good message in this btw. Thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete