Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Greatest Professor I Never Had

Many people say that we need to think before we speak, and we will stay out of trouble. Who actually does this? What does this look like? I have had the opportunity to meet a man who truly thinks before he speaks. I've had some great professors in the few years I have had in college thus far. But there is one professor that I will most likely not have during my learning days. This professor is the only man that I know that thinks about what he is about to say. Every word that comes out of his mouth is carefully planned in mind before he says it. Amazing! He taught one lesson in a class I had once, which allowed me to see how he taught. The only downfall of what he did is that it is easy to allow the mind to wander because of long pauses that this professor takes to think out all his words. But I admire him. He allows awkward pauses to take place because he wants to correctly speak to you. He is absolutely intentional about every word spoken. It allows for you to truly appreciate what he says because it is definitely not just "hot air." I am astonished to see someone who can actually tame his tongue! Lately when I have been asked questions, specifically after presentations that I give, I try to think about what is the best answer to give. Its uncomfortable, awkward because my audience (a small crowd of students in a classroom) is sitting waiting for me to answer. Its not like they are on the edge of their seats waiting to hear what I say, but it seems like I am wasting too much time trying to think of words to respond with. Yet despite the oddness of the moment, I know what I am speaking has been well thought out and is exactly what I want to be said. It is a complete answer. I wonder what conversations would be like if everyone would think about what they were going to say. Every word in the solitude of their mind, before it was spoken and no longer able to be taken back.

No comments:

Post a Comment