Sunday, May 12, 2013

Goodbye APU, Thanks for the Fun!

Azusa Pacific University you've been great. Expensive, but great. You brought me a bunch of friends whom brought joy into my life, continuous trials for me to conquer and to handle pressure, and a sweet comfort which made this university a home for four years.

I remember arriving my freshman year eager to move into my new dorm room though it was 3 in the morning. I had visited once two years before during a college trip with friend from my high school, if I had not seen APU first hand, I would not have broken my desire to choose a non-religious outside of California. Just being on the campus for less than 24 hours, I knew I was meant to be here. But now it was dark without the light of the moon, I couldn't tell if I was at the right dorm or not. Then I saw the words 'SMITH HALL' on the two story building across from the parking lot. I walked forward with a fluttered heart. The Smith Bot, a very large Transformer made out of cardboard, standing tall acting as a silent guardian at the front entrance of my new home. Upon entering, I felt completely like a freshman, in awe of everything I saw, even that which was mundane. The chairs in the front lobby, the open space and windows to the campus in the front room were breath taking, the RD's apt door was so cool! It was all wonderful...except community bathrooms - luckily I had the only suite style room in Smith which gave me and the room next to me our own personal bathroom and shower! =] I searched for my room and when finally walking in I fell in love with the white walls, and blue mattress APU graciously provided. With a little help from the RAs awake, I got settled in and slept my first night in my room, alone and filled with the excitement of all that college was going to be: friends, foolishness and most importantly freedom.**

I remember when I first found love at APU, I didn't expect it to happen so quickly, but I found what I wanted more than anything else in the world. With a girl to guy ratio rumored to be close to 27:1 or something like that...you'd think my chances of finding love would be great. I fell in love, but with the great outdoors, sorry ladies. I was introduced to the High Sierra program which introduced to a part of the world I had not seen before in person; a beautiful world! I got to do things I didn't know I loved to do! I stayed in God's country; land so beautiful and precious only God could have designed it that way. It was here where I made a decision to make the relationship I had with Christ my own and to be a committed follower of Him. It was here where I experienced the love of a family though no one was related. It was here where I laid out under the stars and in the coolness of the night made important decisions for my life. I had the fortune of staying there for 2 semesters, nearly a year of living just outside of the gorgeous Yosemite, making memories with friends which will last eternally.

Academics always came easy to me. It was the reason why I bounced around from school to school as a child without moving. My parents searched for an education which would challenge me, or perhaps meet me at my level. There were none, until APU. Here I received a different type of education where I still learned the usual academics, but the knowledge influenced my personal life because here I had a few professors enter my life with a level of care for their students I had yet to experience. The closest professors I had were so close, even calling them by their first name seems to proper: Bobby, a biblical professor who for a time I had as a mentor as he help me deal with problems I face everyday just like he did in college, D-Dubs, a philosophy professor who everyday made philosophy fun and hilarious while showing how you can be yourself in everything you do, Givens, hands down my favorite business professor I encountered as he showed his students how to be a man of integrity in family life and work and to have a heart which knows no limit on giving without being taken advantage of or taken for granted. These men effected my life outside of the classroom as they all took time to have lunch, dinner, or spend life with me, going beyond the call of duty and touching my heart. That was what I needed: a personal touch. With that type of encouragement and backing, I was able to go on and become the first male Nuñez in my family to graduate from college.

Having been a education journeyman, I have not had a true friend group I could call my own. There have not been people who I could walk in to their room/apt as if it were my own. It wasn't till my senior year at APU where I was able to truly find this. It was a weird yet natural feeling hanging out with these guys as I found myself spending significantly more time with them than I did in my own apartment. A dream come true of sorts for a person like me who thrives on a solid community. A blessing for my life, even now in life post-APU, I'm living with a few of these guys in a new apartment living the dream of friends for life.

APU, you've been good to me. I appreciate it. But now it's time for me to say goodbye.
Thanks for the fun.

**If you're reading this and 1. not signed into Facebook and 2. not friends with me, you might not be able to see all the photos I linked.

No comments:

Post a Comment