Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Promise!

I do not make promises often. Not because I cannot keep them or I do not like to. But for the reason that when I do make one, the person I make it to knows that I am serious about it. the more rare something is the more precious it is. My promises are precious because it is my word to a person that I WILL do something and they can guarantee it will happen. There is a lot of work that goes into a promise. I dont believe that many people realize that. Many will make their promises, hoping that the one they make it to will forget over time. But promises take time and commitment. Commitment is what turns a promise into a reality. A promise is nothing but false hope until it is been done. I can promise all my life that I will finish my book, but it is not until I sit down, and commit myself to making it happen, that it will happen. I would rather never make a promise to someone, if I knew that I would never do it. Napoleon Bonaparte said "The best way to keep one's word is not to give it." No one could ever judge your integrity if you never dont follow through, but if you make a promise and fail to keep it, a person can fall apart. But a man that makes his promise a priority and completes all he says, is a man that builds himself and those around him. I would say that the result of a promise, is a showing of one's character. Whether it is never kept, it is sadly attempted to be done, it is completed, or accomplished over and above all expectations, it shows who you are. A promise unkept is hurtful lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment